Monument details

HER Number:10/1
Type of record:Archaeology
Name:St. Andrew's Hospital, Denhall; Chapel Field, Denhall

Summary

Scheduled Monument of the site of a monastic hospital founded by 1231-4, for the help of the poor, shipwrecked and travellers to Ireland. The revenue was raised from the parish of Burton, from fishing, trade and shipwrecks. The hospital had closed by end of 15th century.

The site of hospital has been surveyed and earthworks and the footings of the chapel are shown. Re-used masonry is also visible in the field walls.


Parish:ELLESMERE PORT NON-PARISH AREA, ELLESMERE PORT AND NESTON, CHESHIRE WEST AND CHESTER

Monument Types

  • CHAPEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DITCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HOSPITAL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • RELIGIOUS HOUSE (Religious site, Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WALL (Wall-stone some (1-100), Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status:Scheduled Monument 1007635: St Andrew's Medieval Hospital And Limekiln, Denhall



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund