Monument details

HER Number:17/1
Type of record:Archaeology
Name:Stanlow Abbey Cistercian monastery and monastic grange

Summary

Stanlow Abbey became a grange of Whalley Abbey when the monastic community moved there at the end of the 13th century. It was passed to Sir Richard Cotton at the dissolution and then sold to Sir John Poole of Poole. All that seems to remain of this site are the stone walls in the northwest corner which contain a collapsed chamfered 4-centred arched doorway at the very corner. The grange buildings may have been arranged around a courtyard like the later farmyard. There are two revetment walls around the promontory, the inner one re-using abbey stone may be of this period. There is documentary evidence for sheep farming during the 13th and 14th centuries. The site is a Scheduled Monument. A Grange is an area of monastic land that lies outside the Abbey's main land holdings. They were usually farms and were run by the laymen of the monastic order or by hired labour.


Parish:ELLESMERE PORT NON-PARISH AREA, ELLESMERE PORT AND NESTON, CHESHIRE WEST AND CHESTER

Monument Types

  • DRAIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • GRANGE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • RELIGIOUS HOUSE (Religious site, Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WALL (Wall-stone some (1-100), Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status:Scheduled Monument 1011117: Stanlow Abbey Cistercian Monastery And Monastic Grange



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund