Monument details

HER Number:17/0
Type of record:Archaeology
Name:Stanlow Abbey Cistercian monastery and monastic grange

Summary

This site is a Scheduled Monument. A Cistercian monastery was founded in 1178 on land granted by the de Lacey family. It was built on a a low rocky promontory in the Mersey estuary and alongside junction with River Gowy. It is typical of the isolated sites chosen for early foundations. The Abbey was dedicated to St Mary and was colonised from Combermere Abbey. Towards end of 13th century many monks transferred to Whalley Abbey and only the Abbot and 5 monks remained. However the sea swamped the site in 1279, a gale damaged the church tower in 1287 and a fire in 1289 destroyed most of the church. The Pope was petitioned in 1283 to move the abbey to Whalley (Lancs) and the move took place in 1296. From the 14th century Stanlow became a grange. The present farm buildings incorporate portions of the abbey and were built in the mid 18th century. Some of the walls survive from the original monastic buildings.


Parish:ELLESMERE PORT NON-PARISH AREA, ELLESMERE PORT AND NESTON, CHESHIRE WEST AND CHESTER

Monument Types

  • ABBEY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHURCH (Church building, Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • COFFIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD (?))
  • DRAIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • RELIGIOUS HOUSE (Religious site, Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status:Scheduled Monument 1011117: Stanlow Abbey Cistercian Monastery And Monastic Grange



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund