Monument details

HER Number:68/1/2
Type of record:Archaeology
Name:Duck Decoy Pond, 200m south-east of Marsh Bridge

Summary

Scheduled Monument of a 17th century duck decoy (an enclosure used to trap wildfowl). It is a pentagonal ditched enclosure of around 3 acres, formed by a moat 15 ft wide and 5-6 ft deep. It has a bank of woodland which surrounds the decoy pond with five regularly spaced curving arms. A date-stone inscribed R.C.1638 is set into the brick-lined dock on north side of the pond. It was remodelled in 1740 by the Skelton Brothers and is now still covered by remains of iron hoops used to support nets. The small brick-built hut on island is a later addition. The present footbridge may be on the site of earlier one.


Parish:HALE, HALTON

Monument Types

  • DECOY POND (Decoy, Post Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1900 AD)
  • DITCHED ENCLOSURE (Enclosure-ditched, Post Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1900 AD)
  • MANOR (Post Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1900 AD)
  • VILLAGE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1900 AD)
Protected Status:Scheduled Monument 1014717: Duck Decoy Pond 200M South East Of Marsh Bridge



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund