Monument details

HER Number:67/1/1
Type of record:Archaeology
Name:Norton Hall (Tudor)

Summary

Norton Priory was bought in 1545 by Sir Richard Brooke, seven years after the Dissolution. He retained the west range of the cloister, incorporating the surviving undercroft, which had been the Abbot's lodgings and included the tower house from the 15th century. Other buildings including the kitchen and those in the outer courtyard were retained or adapted. A 1757 estate map in Warrington Library shows many features in the surrounding landscape that was largely destroyed by the later house. Additional evidence comes from various sketch plans of the Tudor House including ones produced by Randle Holme in the 17th century and S & N Buck in the 18th century.

Holme’s sketch suggests the medieval Guest Quarters remained in use, along with the Kitchen with St Christopher’s Statue in front, the West Range undercroft and outer parlour with the Abbot’s Tower also remained although with the addition of a substantial staircase against the southern end. A large walled courtyard was also added in front of the main house including a gatehouse in the northwest corner.

Archaeological evidence from the research excavations at Norton Priory only identified limited remains of the Tudor house itself largely due to later destruction by the Georgian house. Several robber trenches were identified during this phase of activity and there were quantities of pottery recovered across the site. Three possible wall features were recorded within the kitchen area that may date to this phase of activity.

The excavations identified large quantities of rubbish deposited over the former cloister area suggesting much of the cloister was used as a midden. The deposits were not very well differentiated but generally speaking the lower deposits were largely waterlogged and included soil brought in from elsewhere to level or infill the former cloister. These deposits sealed demolition dumps and were cut by subsequent robber trenches. Dating of these deposits was largely through clay tobacco pipes, the earliest of which dated to the late 16th century and the latest to the early third of the 18th century. A saw pit was also encountered to the west of the main house. The pit contained a number of planks laid at the base to provide a firm footing for the cutting of raw materials.


Parish:RUNCORN & WIDNES NON PARISH AREA, HALTON

Monument Types

  • MANOR HOUSE (AD 16TH CENTURY to AD 18TH CENTURY - 1545 AD to 1730 AD)
Protected Status:Listed Building (I) 1130433: REMAINS OF NORTON PRIORY; Scheduled Monument 1015603: Augustinian Abbey Known As Norton Priory

Related records

67/1/2Related to: Norton Hall middens (Monument)
67/1/3Related to: Norton Hall saw pits (Monument)
67/1/4Related to: Norton Hall walled courtyard (Monument)
66/1/6Related to: Norton Priory - Moat and drainage system (Monument)



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund