|Type of record:||Archaeology|
|Name:||Medieval village remains 230m east of Baddiley Hall|
The remains of the medieval village of Baddiley Hall are now a Scheduled Monument. Baddiley is first mentioned in Domesday as a small manor with only land for one plough, the village probably developed around the medieval church and post medieval hall. There is evidence for a number of house platforms and enclosures. which might indicate a shrunken village.
Medieval and later villages were abandoned by their inhabitants for many reasons. The effects of disease and poor harvests made rural living difficult, and whole communities are thought to have relocated to urban settlements. Landowners sometimes relocated settlements for aesthetic reasons and for landscaping. Once abandoned the villages quickly became derelict and were not inhabited again surviving only as earthworks, often visible only from aerial photographs. They can also be identified by documentary evidence or the presence of a church where there is no settlement.
|Parish:||BADDILEY, CREWE AND NANTWICH, CHESHIRE EAST|
- CROFT (AD 9TH CENTURY to AD 11TH CENTURY - 800 AD to 1099 AD)
- DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Deserted village, AD 9TH CENTURY to AD 11TH CENTURY - 800 AD to 1099 AD)
- PLATFORM (AD 9TH CENTURY to AD 11TH CENTURY - 800 AD to 1099 AD)
- TERRACED GROUND (AD 9TH CENTURY to AD 11TH CENTURY - 800 AD to 1099 AD)
- TOFT (AD 9TH CENTURY to AD 11TH CENTURY - 800 AD to 1099 AD)
|Protected Status:||Scheduled Monument 30389: Medieval Village Remains 230M East Of Baddiley Hall|
|267/0/1||Related to: Baddiley Hall, Baddiley Hall Lane (Building)|
|267/1||Related to: Church of St Michael (Building)|