Monument details

HER Number:184/1/1
Type of record:Archaeology
Name:Moated site & fishpond NE of Wood Farm

Summary

The remains of a moat at Wood Farm have been designated a Scheduled Monument. The moat was trapezoidal in shape and enclosed a building platform 90m square. Today one arm of the moat has buildings on top of it. The other ditches do survive but are very shallow. An associated fishpond also survives.

The site has been identified as platform for manor house owned by the Griffin family during the reign of Henry VIII and later sold to Sir Henry Delves in 1666.


Parish:WOOLSTANWOOD, CREWE AND NANTWICH, CHESHIRE EAST

Monument Types

  • MANOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • MANOR HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status:Scheduled Monument 1017838: Moated Site And Fishpond North East Of Wood Farm



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund