Monument details

HER Number:183/1
Type of record:Building
Name:Site of the Church of St Chad's

Summary

Grade II* listed and a Scheduled Monument. This church was one of Cheshire's Domesday Churches, when both the church and manor were held by the bishop. St Chad was the Bishop of Mercia and the dedication of the church suggest an important Saxon foundation. The church was rebuilt several times between the 16th and 19th centuries. Subsidence led to the tower leaning and the body of the church being demolished to its foundations in 1976. What survives of the church is the fine 15th century tower. Two fine monuments, a brass to Rafe Delves (died 1513) and a recumbent effigy of Thomas Smith (died 1614) are now stored in the tower .


Parish:WYBUNBURY, CREWE AND NANTWICH, CHESHIRE EAST

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (AD 9TH CENTURY to AD 11TH CENTURY - 800 AD to 1099 AD)
  • CHURCH (Church Building, AD 9TH CENTURY to AD 11TH CENTURY - 800 AD to 1099 AD)
  • TOWER (AD 9TH CENTURY to AD 11TH CENTURY - 800 AD to 1099 AD)
  • VILLAGE (AD 9TH CENTURY to AD 11TH CENTURY - 800 AD to 1099 AD)
Protected Status:Listed Building (II*) 57020: TOWER OF FORMER CHURCH OF ST CHAD; Conservation Area; Scheduled Monument 32564: Site Of The Church Of St Chad

Related records

183/0/0Related to: Wybunbury (Monument)



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund