Monument details

HER Number:179/2
Type of record:Archaeology
Name:Nantwich Castle

Summary

Motte and Bailey Castle built by Hugh Lupus who then left it to one of his daughters. It is mentioned in documents from the 13th, 14th and 15th centuries. The site of the castle is preserved in the name of Castle Street and the curve in the north end of High St may echo edge of the site of the bailey. Excavations undertaken in 1974-5, 1978 and 1989, close to the supposed site of the Castle, have each recorded evidence for substantial ditches; these may form part of a complex series of defensive ditches surrounding the Castle. A further excavation in 1994-5 in the Crown Hotel Car Park recorded a thick deposit of clay and sand with a clay capping which, by analogy with the excavations undertaken in 1978 just to the west, may form part of the platform of the Castle. Evidence for a Medieval timber revetment and fencing also recorded.


Parish:NANTWICH, CREWE AND NANTWICH, CHESHIRE EAST

Monument Types

  • BAILEY (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD (?))
  • CASTLE (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD)
  • DITCH ( 2 of, Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD)
  • MOAT? (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • MOTTE (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD (?))
Protected Status:Conservation Area (Active) 002: Nantwich Conservation Area; Conservation Area



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund