Monument details

HER Number:266/1
Type of record:Archaeology
Name:Edleston moated site and fishpond

Summary

In 1398, Thomas de Fouleshurst of Edleston was given licence for an oratory, assumed to be on this site. An inqusition post mortem of c.1500 for John de Fouleshurst talks of a gatehouse, bridge, ditch and chapel which may refer to this site. The site is a site is a Scheduled Monument.

Today a sub-rectangular platform has the remains of a ditch on the west and south sides to a width up to 17m The rest of the moat was filled in the 1940's. The site is a Scheduled Monument

Moated sites are characterised by a waterlogged ditch that encloses a platform of land where buildings were built though they were also used for horticulture e.g. orchards. They were most popular in medieval times though not necessarily for the defensive advantages of being on an island as they were also seen as a sign of prestige. There are approximately 6000 across England with over 200 moated sites in Cheshire alone.


Parish:EDLESTON, CREWE AND NANTWICH, CHESHIRE EAST

Monument Types

  • CHAPEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • COUNTRY HOUSE (Hall, Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • GATEHOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD (?))
  • GRANGE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD (?))
  • MANOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD (?))
  • MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status:Scheduled Monument 1009866: Edleston Moated Site And Fishpond



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund