Monument details

HER Number:268/1/3
Type of record:Archaeology
Name:Standing Cross, St Mary's Churchyard, Monks Lane

Summary

Scheduled Monument and a Grade II listed standing cross that was made into a sundial in the late 17th century. Octagonal medieval cross shaft in red sandstone which has a moulded capstone with dial and pointer on each face.

Standing Crosses are usually of stone and date from the medieval period, mid 10th to mid 16th centuries AD. They served a variety of purposes from places of prayer and pilgrimage to sites of public proclamation. At one time there were over 12,000 of these crosses throughout Britain but many were destroyed during the reformation. There are now less than 2000 crosses remaining, many incomplete.


Parish:ACTON, CREWE AND NANTWICH, CHESHIRE EAST

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CROSS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • SUNDIAL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • VILLAGE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status:Scheduled Monument 1017058: Standing Cross In St Mary's Churchyard; Listed Building (II) 1136328: SUNDIAL IN ST MARY'S CHURCHYARD NORTH EAST OF THE CHURCH; Conservation Area; Listed Building (old) (II) 4/18: Title not entered



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund