Monument details

HER Number:179/0/26
Type of record:Building
Name:140 &142 Hospital Street, Nantwich

Summary

Grade II listed 17th century timber framed town house, now with painted rendered facade. The house or its predecessor was owned by John Crewe (died 1598). His wife was a Mainwaring, and this family's arms are in heraldic shields in the upper windows.

Wood was in plentiful supply as a building material in Britain until the 17th century. It was therefore the most practical material for house building. Timber framed buildings consist of a wooden framework (usually oak) that was infilled to created solid walls. Infill material used included wattle and daub, lath and plaster, brick and weather board. Brick nogging, (brick infill) was often used in the 17th and 18th centuries to replace earlier wattle and daub or lath and plaster infill as it was longer lasting.


Parish:NANTWICH, CREWE AND NANTWICH, CHESHIRE EAST

Monument Types

  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TOWN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TOWN HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status:Conservation Area; Conservation Area (Active) 002: Nantwich Conservation Area; Listed Building (old) (II) 1/38: Title not entered



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund