Monument details

HER Number:1047/1/2
Type of record:Building
Name:Dovecote And Pigstys 270M South East Of Jodrell Bank Farm

Summary

A dovecote north of Terra Nova School, Jodrell Bank. Built in the late Seventeenth century of red brick, there are three storeys, the lower floor was a pig sty and the upper two were a dovecote. It has a Pyramid roof with weather vane. This is a very well preserved and unusual dovecote and is a Scheduled Monument and a Listed Building.

The Romans appear to be the first to have used dovecotes to give a supply of fresh meat though there are no remains of such structures in Britain. Dovecotes and pigeon houses were introduced to Britain from France in the 11th century. They were normally circular buildings with pivoting ladders that allowed the removal of young birds and eggs. They represent an important source of fresh meat for the estates they were built on and the droppings were used as fertiliser. In the 16th and 17th centuries the droppings were as essential source of saltpetre used in the manufacture of gunpowder. In Medieval times, they were allowed only on the estates of lords or monastic land. Laws were passed in the 18th century, to enable others to build them.


Parish:TWEMLOW, CONGLETON, CHESHIRE EAST

Monument Types

  • DOVECOTE (AD 17TH CENTURY - 1667 AD to 1699 AD)
  • PIGSTY (AD 17TH CENTURY - 1667 AD to 1699 AD)
  • WEATHER VANE (AD 17TH CENTURY - 1667 AD? to 1699 AD?)
Protected Status:Listed Building (II*) 1231671: DOVECOTE AND PIGSTIES AT JODRELL HALL

Related records

1047/1/1Related to: Farm Buildings North-West of Terra Nova School (Building)



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund