Monument details

HER Number:1161/1
Type of record:Archaeology
Name:Roman camp at Bent Farm

Summary

A presumed Roman temporary camp, half a mile west of Astbury, first identified in 1725 as earthworks. All but one corner was destroyed in 1744 but some parts of the earthworks are still visible. Designated a Scheduled Monument it is one of a number of possible practice camps in Cheshire. Practice camps are thought to have been built by roman troops to train in earthwork construction. Two roads are thought to have existed at the east and west sides of the camp, one to Astbury and one to Middlewich, suggesting longer ocupation of the site than a temporary encampment.


Parish:NEWBOLD ASTBURY, CONGLETON, CHESHIRE EAST

Monument Types

  • BANK (EARTHWORK) (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • DITCH (Ditch & Bank, Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • MILITARY CAMP (Military site, Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • RIDGE AND FURROW (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • TEMPORARY CAMP (Marching camp, Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
Protected Status:Scheduled Monument 25716: Roman Camp At Bent Farm



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund