Monument details

HER Number:1083/3/4
Type of record:Archaeology
Name:Brine pumps at Brooks Lane

Summary

Murgatroyd brine shaft is a Scheduled Monument. It is a brine shaft dug by hand in 1889 to a depth of c.280ft and later deepened to c.350ft. There are three pumps are in the shaft which date from the 20th century. The pumps are enclosed in a pump house of brick construction with an asbestos sheet roof. Originally there was a boiler and steam engine house built alongside but these were demolished. The original timber pump head gantry built in 1890 still stands.

The Brooks lane area of Middlewich overlies a number of beds of rock salt. Natural brine formed in the uppermost of these beds and access to the brine was obtained via a rectangular shaft Brine was raised to the surface by three pumps. Pumping of brine at the site ceased in 1977 as part of the County Council's policy to eliminate "wild" brine pumping. The site was sold to Congleton Borough Council and the pumps retained as the last remnant of salt making in Middlewich.


Parish:MIDDLEWICH, CONGLETON, CHESHIRE EAST

Monument Types

  • BRINE PIT (AD 19TH CENTURY - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
  • PUMP ( 2 of, AD 19TH CENTURY - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
Protected Status:Scheduled Monument 1020122: Murgatroyd's Brine Works



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund