|Type of record:||Archaeology|
|Name:||Saxon cross fragments in St Mary's Churchyard|
Three fragments from the shaft of at least one Saxon cross of similar size and date to those in the Market Place at Sandbach. Though they are worn there is some figure sculpture and moulding visible. There are also two pre- Viking fragments of tomb slabs with figure and animal carving. They were all formerly built into the cross base in the Market Place, but removed to the churchyard in 1956.
These sculptured stones are a Scheduled Monument.
|Parish:||SANDBACH, CONGLETON, CHESHIRE EAST|
- CROSS (Saxon - 410 AD to 1065 AD)
- CROSS SHAFT (Saxon - 410 AD to 1065 AD)
- GRAVESTONE (Saxon - 410 AD to 1065 AD)
- TOWN (Saxon - 410 AD to 1065 AD)
|Protected Status:||Scheduled Monument 1016853: Early Medieval Sculptural Fragments In St Mary's Churchyard|