Monument details

HER Number:1951/1/2
Type of record:Building
Name:Standing Cross in St Mary's Churchyard (Bruera)


In the churchyard at St Mary's, Bruera, are the remains of a stone cross, converted at a later date into a sundial.

The monument includes the remains of a standing cross immediately to the south of the south porch of St Mary's church, Bruera. The base and part of the shaft survive and have been converted into a sundial. The base is a single block of buff sandstone, measuring 0.75m wide x 0.3m high. The shaft measures 0.4m wide and 1.15m high. This is surmounted by a square capstone of a different type of sandstone which measures 0.3m wide by 0.2m high. On the west side the cap is inscribed TM JH CW and dated 1736. The shaft is inscribed WP HN CHURCHWARDENS 1693 on its west and north faces. The finely designed late medieval cross is important as an example of the liturgical and parochial functions of standing crosses of the period. The remains are also evidence of Catholic recusants attempts to rescue such monuments from the ravages of iconoclasts.


Monument Types

  • CROSS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • SUNDIAL (AD 17TH CENTURY to AD 18TH CENTURY - 1600 AD to 1799 AD)
Protected Status:Scheduled Monument () 1017313: Standing Cross In St Mary'S Churchyard; Conservation Area 118: Bruera

Related records

1951/1/1Related to: Church of St Mary the Virgin, Bruera (Building)
1951/1/3Related to: Churchyard to the Church of St Mary the Virgin, Bruera (Monument)

Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund