Monument details

HER Number:1689/4/1
Type of record:Archaeology
Name:Malpas Cross at town centre junction of Church St & Oldhall St

Summary

Malpas Cross, the Cross. Base medieval, cross 1873, of red sandstone. The remains of a town cross were removed from the centre of Malpas in the late 19th century and were allegedly taken to Cholmondeley, but have not been traced. The replacement 'Queen Eleanor style' cross is modern. Late medieval stepped plinth for a cross surmounted by a 19th century Gothic spire rerected as a memorial to a former vicar of the parish. The base is an octagonal plinth formed from sandstone blocks in seven steps. These gradually dimished on the upper western side so that only four steps are visible above the road surface. The cobbles of an earlier street surface are visible on the west side for 0.5m from the cross base. Above the medieval plinth is a sandstone cross base in two octagonal steps. A sandstone octagonal pillar with a spire has been erected above. The whole structure is about 8m high from the street on the east side. The pillar is inscribed to Rev Charles Thurlow dated to 1873.


Parish:MALPAS, CHESTER, CHESHIRE WEST AND CHESTER

Monument Types

  • CROSS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CROSS BASE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CROSS SHAFT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • MARKET (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • TOWN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status:Conservation Area; Listed Building (II) 1130596: MALPAS CROSS; Scheduled Monument 1014957: Malpas Cross At Town Centre Junction Of Church Street And Oldhall Street; Conservation Area (Active) 010: Malpas Conservation Area

Related records

1689/4/0Related to: Malpas Market (Monument)



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund