Monument details

HER Number:1846/1
Type of record:Archaeology
Name:Iddinshall Hall and Moat

Summary

Site of Iddinshall Hall. The canons of St Werburgh held the township of Iddinshall at Domesday when it had land for one plough. After the Dissolution, Iddinshall was granted to the Dean & Chapter of Chester, but was one of the possessions extorted from them by Sir Richard Cotton & in 1550 it was sold to the Hurlestones of Picton. Later it passed through many families. Reference is made to the hall by Webb, who wrote of the 'fine house & fair demesne of Idenshaw'. The building had disappeared by 1810, when Lyson's history was written. Fairly certain that the Elizabethan dwelling of the Hurlestones was located here, or an earlier monastic house or grange. Various timbers and pieces of dressed stone are scattered throughout the copse. There is also an artificial Victorian fox-earth. The large size of the moat, with an area of 4 acres, and its strategic position at the Beeston gap may suggest the presence here of an early Roman auxiliary fortlet, however there is no evidence for such a view. On clearing out a pond near the present hall, a reliquary was found of Limoges enamel, showing the murder of St Thomas of Canterbury. It probably belonged to Chester Abbey which perhaps had a grange here. Site measures c.120m x 100m, surrounded by mainly dry moat 10-12m wide x 2.5m deep. Island has inner bank 6m wide x 0.5m high, with access via causeway on east side. Outer bank 6m wide x 1m high to south. Dry outlet channel issues from the moat's south-west corner.


Parish:IDDINSHALL, CHESTER, CHESHIRE WEST AND CHESTER

Monument Types

  • FORTLET? (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
  • DESERTED SETTLEMENT? (AD 9TH CENTURY to Medieval - 800 AD? to 1539 AD? (?))
  • GRANGE (AD 9TH CENTURY to Medieval - 800 AD to 1539 AD (?))
  • MANOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD (?))
  • MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status:Scheduled Monument 1011870: Iddinshall Hall Moated Site

Related records

1846/0/0Related to: Iddinshall (Monument)



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund