Monument details

HER Number:1771/1/3
Type of record:Archaeology
Name:Standing cross in St Mary's churchyard

Summary

Churchyard Cross at Tilston. Sundial on base of ancient cross. On top of octagonal shaft is an elaborately shaped head. Shaft dated 1679 & dial inscribed 'J Barker, Jn Goff CW 1831'. Cross consists of 2 octagonal steps, lower one, 2m diam, & 0.3m high, supports broached octagonal base, 0.6m diam & 0.2m high, with an octagonal shaft of 0.9m high. Apparently later stone head carries a sundial & inscription, in relief: RT & TR 1679. Medieval standing cross base & part of shaft. Base is octagonal with 2 steps & octagonal base block into which is set octagonal shaft 0.9m high. Shaft is surmounted by octagonal block with sundial. Shaft inscribed TB 1679 which is probably the date sundial erected. Sundial inscribed 'J Barker Jn Goff CW 1831'. First step of dressed ashlar sandstone blocks, 2m diam. 2nd step 1.3m diam & 0.3m high. Base block 0.6m diam & 0.2m high with moulding round top.


Parish:TILSTON, CHESTER, CHESHIRE WEST AND CHESTER

Monument Types

  • CEMETERY (Graveyard, Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • CROSS (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • VILLAGE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status:Scheduled Monument 1020625: Standing Cross in St Mary's Churchyard



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund