Monument details

HER Number:1781/1/2
Type of record:Archaeology
Name:Standing Cross in St Edith's churchyard

Summary

The Medieval cross in St Edith's Churchyard is a Scheduled Monument . Head missing and the shaft is partly restored. It sits on a stone plinth on top of four sandstone steps. Locally reputed to have been used as a plague cross in the 17th century. Food and water was left for those infected, in four hollows on top of the cross.


Parish:CHURCH SHOCKLACH, CHESTER, CHESHIRE WEST AND CHESTER

Monument Types

  • CROSS (Medieval to AD 19TH CENTURY - 1066 AD to 1899 AD)
Protected Status:Listed Building (II) 1228350: MEDIEVAL CROSS IN ST EDITH'S CHURCHYARD, SOUTH OF CHURCH; Scheduled Monument 1018076: Standing Cross in St Edith's Churchyard



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund