Monument details

HER Number:1999/1
Type of record:Archaeology
Name:Chapel Site at Chapel House Farm, Wervin

Summary

The Chapel is documented from at least the thirteenth century, when its revenues were confirmed to Chester (St Werburg’s) Abbey by Pope Honorius and it would seem to have survived the dissolution of the monasteries. By the late nineteenth century the chapel was bring used as a cattle shed. The chapel is orientated east-west and is in a ruined condition, only parts of the northern and eastern walls survive above ground. The chapel sits on a mound and may have been surrounded by an enclosure containing a burial ground.


Parish:WERVIN, CHESTER, CHESHIRE WEST AND CHESTER

Monument Types

  • CHAPEL (AD 13TH CENTURY - 1200 AD to 1299 AD)
Protected Status:Scheduled Monument 1014724: Chapel At Chapel House Farm 200M West Of Wervin Old Hall; Listed Building (II) 1330243: REMAINS OF CHAPEL WEST OF CHAPELHOUSE FARM



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund