Monument details

HER Number:1913/1
Type of record:Archaeology
Name:Enclosure at Stamford Heath

Summary

Examination of 1947 RAF photography revealed a rectangular earthwork enclosure situated across two modern fields. The southern portions were over-ploughed by narrow ridge and furrow. The south and south-west side were best preserved and a possible entrance is shown on the east side. No internal features are visible. Although it lies close to an enclosure of roman date it has a different shape which suggests a different date and function. This site is placed in center of Stamford Heath as marked on Burdett's 1777 map of Cheshire and may represent a paddock associated with medieval/post medieval use.


Parish:CHRISTLETON, CHESTER, CHESHIRE WEST AND CHESTER

Monument Types

  • BANK (EARTHWORK) (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD? (?))
  • DEFENCE OBSTRUCTION (Defences, Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
  • DITCHED ENCLOSURE? (Enclosure-ditch & bank, Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
  • TEMPORARY CAMP (Marching camp, Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
Protected Status:Scheduled Monument 25729: Roman Camp on Stamford Heath, 350m North East of Stamford Hollows Farm



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund