Monument details

HER Number:1972/0/3
Type of record:Archaeology
Name:Heronbridge Roman Site

Summary

Excavations at Heronbridge 1947-55 by B R Hartley on west side of Watling Street. Within the northern angle of a side street two stone buildings, separated by a courtyard, were built in and occupied in C3. A late C3 or C4 building with hypocausts also lay west of Watling Street. In 1959-60 excavations by F H Thompson and J V H Eames revealed timber strip buildings, built c. AD 90 and later in stone c.140. The stone walls were inserted through a thick layer of burnt daub. Occupation did not outlast C2. Another timber building c.4.5m wide was late C1 or early C2. After repairs it was replaced by a stone building 6m wide, apparently no earlier than late C3. A side street immediately to the north was remade more than once, in C4 it was 4.5m wide with a substantial kerb on the north. As on the east side of the Roman road, there were groups of buildings on the west bounded on either side by side roads or alleys.


Parish:CLAVERTON, CHESTER, CHESHIRE WEST AND CHESTER

Monument Types

  • BUILDING ( some (1-100), Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • COURTYARD (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • HYPOCAUST (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • SETTLEMENT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • WALL (Wall-stone some (1-100), Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
Protected Status:Scheduled Monument CH25: Heronbridge Roman Site

Related records

1972Related to: Heronbridge Roman Site (Monument)



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund