Monument details

HER Number:1836/1/2
Type of record:Archaeology
Name:Motte & Bailey Castle, Aldford

Summary

Bailey at Aldford Castle. Triangular and with an area of 4250sq.m. Boundary ditch is well preserved between the Motte & bailey and down the E side. The W arm is less complete and is heavily overgrown, and the S side is fragmentary. Much of the S ditch must have been filled when the present church was built in 1866. On the E side the ditch is up to 2.5m deep with upcast banks on either side. The internal bank probably had a wooden palisade. Fragmentary inner bank 0.4m high extends round bailey. The causeway across the bailey ditch has been breached and only some masonry blocks remain in the sides of the ditch. The ditch of the N side of the Motte has been flattened by ploughing and only traces of the bank are apparent under the boundary hedge. Ormerod states that a manor house of the Ardernes was built in the bailey, based on its field name, Hall Croft or Hall Yard. However, it is more likely to have been built on the Motte. Triangular bailey with area of 4250 sq.m. Bailey flanked by a dry ditch on E & W sides up to 19m wide & 215m deep. Upcast from this ditch has been used to create banks either side of the bailey's eastern ditch & adjacent to the largely infilled S. arm.


Parish:ALDFORD, CHESTER, CHESHIRE WEST AND CHESTER

Monument Types

  • BAILEY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CASTLE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • VILLAGE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status:Conservation Area; Scheduled Monument 22486: Aldford Motte And Bailey And Shell Keep Castle

Related records

1836/1/0Related to: Motte and Bailey Castle, Aldford (Monument)
1836/1/0Related to: Motte and Bailey Castle, Aldford (Monument)
1836/1/0Related to: Motte and Bailey Castle, Aldford (Monument)
1836/1/0Related to: Motte and Bailey Castle, Aldford (Monument)



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund