Monument details

HER Number:1836/1/0
Type of record:Archaeology
Name:Motte and Bailey Castle, Aldford

Summary

Alford is not directly mentioned in the Domesday Survey of 1086. It was part of the scattered holding of Bigot de Loges. A timber and earth Motte and bailey castle was built here as part of a line of defence along the Welsh borders in the 11th century. The first owner to take the name of Aldford was Robert de Aldford, who built or refortified the castle in stone just in the 12th century. In 1209 Sir John Ardene succeeded to estate and the manor remained in the Arderne family until 1464, when it passed to Stanleys by marriage until 1503. For the next two centuries it was rented and leased. The castle fell into decay and much of stone was robbed. By end of the 18th century it had passed to Grosvenor family in whose estate it remains. Both the Motte and bailey were planted with trees and, with the water-filled bailey ditch, they formed a parkland. The site is now a Scheduled Monument.


Parish:ALDFORD, CHESTER, CHESHIRE WEST AND CHESTER

Monument Types

  • CASTLE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • VILLAGE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status:Conservation Area; Scheduled Monument 1007605: Aldford Motte And Bailey And Shell Keep Castle

Related records

1836/0/0Related to: Aldford Village (Monument)
1836/1/1Related to: Motte & Bailey Castle, Aldford (Monument)
1836/1/1Related to: Motte & Bailey Castle, Aldford (Monument)
1836/1/1Related to: Motte & Bailey Castle, Aldford (Monument)
1836/1/1Related to: Motte & Bailey Castle, Aldford (Monument)
1836/1/2Related to: Motte & Bailey Castle, Aldford (Monument)
1836/1/2Related to: Motte & Bailey Castle, Aldford (Monument)
1836/1/2Related to: Motte & Bailey Castle, Aldford (Monument)
1836/1/2Related to: Motte & Bailey Castle, Aldford (Monument)



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund