Monument details

HER Number:1944/1/1
Type of record:Archaeology
Name:Huntington Hall Moated Site

Summary

Manor of Huntington & Cheaveley belonged to St Werburgh's Abbey throughout the medieval period. Probably to be identified with 'the grange of the Abbot of Chester at Huntington' referred to in 1348. Leased out before Dissolution to Richard Cotton, but in 1589 moated manor sold to Sir George Beverley, who made it his principal residence. Purchased by Henry Harpur, who paid for 13 hearths in Hearth Tax of 1663.Then passed through several families by marriage. Deed of 1589 gave purchaser power to pull down existing hall, evidently a timber structure, but unlikely this was done as Hall mentioned in 1648 with 'all buildings, dovehouses, pooles, motes, poole banks etc.' Described early 17th century by Wm Webb as'a very neat house of timber'. All trace of ancient manor house has disappeared . Foundations of building & remains of a well encountered when digging in orchard (within moated area). Present house of late 18th/early 19th century, known as Old Hall, Huntington & situated south of moated area.

A Grange is an area of monastic land that lies outside the Abbey’s main land holdings. They were usually farms and were run by the laymen of the monastic order or by hired labour.

A manor is area of administration introduced as a feudal estate after the Norman Conquest and used for over 500 years after.


Parish:HUNTINGTON, CHESTER, CHESHIRE WEST AND CHESTER

Monument Types

  • GRANGE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • MANOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • MANOR HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status:Scheduled Monument 1012112: Huntington Hall Moated Site



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund