|Type of record:||Archaeology|
|Name:||Castle Hill motte, Malpas|
Castle Hill was the site of keep of Norman Castle of Barons of Malpas. Castle covered good deal of neighboring ground & church was within castle precinct. Nothing of the Norman Castle is now visible, except for a mound which is160ft in diam. Kenyon suggests church a private chapel to castle but in view of church's previous importance this seems unlikely. Castle ditch has been traced for some distance. Motte has average height of 3.7m & is grass covered. No trace of bailey or ditch. Large truncated earthwork cone situated in strategic position on a spur of the Broxton Hills. Motte lies N of St Oswald's church and graveyard extends to S & W sides of the site. Bailey was probably orig attached to the south side of Motte but the area is heavily disturbed and not included in scheduled area.
This type of fortified Castle was introduced into Britain by the Normans. It is one of several castles in Cheshire that were constructed in the medieval period to defend the rich agricultural resources of Cheshire from raids.
|Parish:||MALPAS, CHESTER, CHESHIRE WEST AND CHESTER|
- BAILEY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CASTLE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- MOTTE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- TOWN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
|Protected Status:||Scheduled Monument 13420: Castle Hill Motte, Malpas; Conservation Area; Conservation Area (Active) 010: Malpas Conservation Area|