|Type of record:||Archaeology|
|Name:||Pulford Motte and Bailey Castle|
Motte of Pulford Castle. Motte is 3m high, 9m across the top W-E and 11m N-S. Slopes south towards the stream which serves as southern boundary of the site's defences. There has been a certain amount of soil slip and old sheep paths on the south side of the motte. The motte is surrounded by a shallow ditch 5-6m wide on all sides except the south, where the stream lies. Traces of outer bank to the SE of Motte and substantial bank between stream and bailey. Bailey lies to NW of Motte.
This type of fortified Castle was introduced into Britain by the Normans. Is one of several castles in Cheshire that were constructed in the medieval period to defend the rich agricultural resources of Cheshire from raids.
|Parish:||PULFORD, CHESTER, CHESHIRE WEST AND CHESTER|
- CASTLE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- MANOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- MOTTE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- VILLAGE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
|Protected Status:||Scheduled Monument 13419: Pulford Motte and Bailey Castle|
|1830/1/0||Related to: Pulford Motte and Bailey Castle (Monument)|