|Type of record:||Archaeology|
|Name:||Pulford Motte and Bailey Castle|
Pulford Castle. First mentioned in the late 12th century. The manor belonged to the Canons of St Werburgh and to Hugh Fitz Osbern in 1086. Later the Ormesbees and the Pulfords held it between them. C.1245 the Ormesbees granted their share of the manor and castle to the Pulfords. In 1403 Sir Thomas le Grosvenor was ordered by Henry IV to hold Pulford Castle against Owen Glendower. Castle is situated on the north bank of Pulford Brook immediately southwest of St Mary's churchyard. The earthworks are well preserved.
Motte - this type of fortified Castle was introduced into Britain by the Normans. It is one of several castles in Cheshire that were constructed in the medieval period to defend the rich agricultural resources of Cheshire from raids.
|Parish:||PULFORD, CHESTER, CHESHIRE WEST AND CHESTER|
- CASTLE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- MANOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- VILLAGE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
|Protected Status:||Scheduled Monument 13419: Pulford Motte and Bailey Castle|
|1830/1/2||Related to: Pulford Motte and Bailey Castle (Monument)|
|1830/1/1||Related to: Pulford Motte and Bailey Castle (Monument)|