|Type of record:||Archaeology|
|Name:||Pulford Motte and Bailey Castle|
Bailey of Pulford Castle. Bailey bank remains on the north and west, it's ditch being on the site of the churchyard to the north and a modern road on the west. It tails off on approaching the stream and the west side of the motte. The east side of the bailey has been obliterated by gardens, but a low bank close to the stream on this side may perhaps be a vestige of it. Bailey lies to the northwest of the Motte. Bank exists at N & W but surface ditch has been obliterated by road & churchyard except for faint traces at the NW corner of site. Castle known to have been in existence in c.1245.
Motte -This type of fortified Castle was introduced into Britain by the Normans. Is one of several castles in Cheshire that were constructed in the medieval period to defend the rich agricultural resources of Cheshire from raids.
|Parish:||PULFORD, CHESTER, CHESHIRE WEST AND CHESTER|
- BAILEY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CASTLE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- MANOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- VILLAGE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
|Protected Status:||Scheduled Monument 1012078: Pulford Motte and Bailey Castle|
|1830/1/0||Related to: Pulford Motte and Bailey Castle (Monument)|