Monument details

HER Number:1889/1/1
Type of record:Building
Name:Hatton Hall

Summary

Hatton was granted c.1200 to the Hattons of Hatton, near Daresbury and used to establish a branch of the family there in early-mid C13. Creation of moated residence probably dates from this time. It passed by marriage to the Vernons and then the Dutton family in C14. It remained the seat of this family until sold in 1699. In C17 the hall was described as 'a fair ancient building' by Wm Webb. Described by Ormerod as forming a quadrangle but by Ormerod's time not more than a quarter was standing. Built of timber, wicker- work plastered over and brick within and some mixture of stonework. The drawbridge led to a lofty gateway, opening with strong folding doors to the court within. The roof of the gateway was composed of 'massy beams' carved in good style. Over the entrance was a figure of St George and the Dragon, over which the family arms were emblazoned. A little higher up the plaster concealed an immense bay window. The gable with which this part terminated was surrounded with vine leaves boldly carved. In the center of the gable were two small windows with oak mullions terminating in cinquefoil heads, the windows projecting on two brackets. Over a door in the quadrangle was the date 1597 with the initials of Rowland Dutton and his wife, Eleanor Scrivon.


Parish:HATTON, CHESTER, CHESHIRE WEST AND CHESTER

Monument Types

  • MANOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • MANOR HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status:Listed Building (old) (II) 2/8: Title not entered; Scheduled Monument 1011787: Hatton Hall Moated Site



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund