Monument details

HER Number:1952/1/1
Type of record:Archaeology
Name:Saighton Grange (Abbey Gate College)

Summary

Saighton was an important grange and abbots residence dependent on the Benedictine Abbey of Chester. It was one of the three castellated residences of the Abbot of St Werburgh. The only part which remains is the gatehouse, which was built by Simon Ripley c.1489. Licences to crenellate were granted in 22 Richard II (1398) and 11 Henry IV (1410). The grange was rebuilt in 1861 for the second Marquess of Westminster, from designs by E Hodkinson. Present building is Abbey Gate College, Chapel Lane, one of only two surviving monastic manorial buildings in Cheshire (other is Ince Manor). Gatehouse 1490 for Abbot Ripley of St Werburgh's Benedictine Abbey, Chester. Red sandstone.

A Grange is an area of monastic land that lies outside the Abbey’s main land holdings. They were usually farms and were run by the laymen of the monastic order or by hired labour.


Parish:SAIGHTON, CHESTER, CHESHIRE WEST AND CHESTER

Monument Types

  • FORTIFIED MANOR HOUSE (Fortified Manor, Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • GATEHOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • GRANGE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • MANOR HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status:Listed Building 1136660: ABBEY GATE COLLEGE, THE MAIN BLOCK EXCEPT THE GATEHOUSE; Conservation Area 129: Saighton Conservation Area



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund