Monument details

HER Number:1791/0/0
Type of record:Archaeology
Name:Farndon

Summary

Farndon was almost certainly a royal estate in the early 10th century, since Edward the Elder died there in 924. It was also probably an important early administrative and ecclesiastical center. By 1066, Farndon was divided between Earl Edwin and the Bishop of Chester, each of whom had a 4-hide manor there. The ancient estate seems originally to have been very large. The core of the estate centered on Farndon was the 8 townships of the 2 later parishes of Farndon and Aldford. It also included the chapelry of Holt and Shocklach and possibly even Tilston, Coddington and Handley. In 1086 there were 2 priests with substantial holdings of 1.5 hides and 'a priest of the vill' with half a plough team, a mill and a fishery.


Parish:FARNDON, CHESTER, CHESHIRE WEST AND CHESTER

Monument Types

  • TOWN (Saxon to Post Medieval - 410 AD to 1900 AD)

Related records

1791/0/6Related to: Black and White Cottages (Building)
1791/0/4Related to: Chapel House (Building)
1791/0/1Related to: Farndon-Holt Bridge (Monument)
1791/0/7Related to: Holly Bank (formerly the Doctor's House) (Building)
1791/0/3Related to: The Chimes (Building)
1791/0/5Related to: Top Farm (Building)
1791/0/2Related to: Tudor, Church Lane (Building)



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund